Sunday, August 28, 2011

To Vaccinate or Not to Vaccinate - Is there Really a Question?

There was a point in time where I would not have even thought twice about having my son vaccinated...but that was when I didn't even have a kid and there was no big hype about vaccines causing all sorts of harm. 

I've been vaccinated with all my shots since I was a kid...my mom is a nurse and even today insists I get the flu shot. This one I ignored until I had a baby. 

I admit, the hype about the dangers of vaccines did cause me to hesitate before having Marshal vaccinated. I spoke with my mom and my doctor and came to the decision that the risks of NOT being vaccinated far outweigh the risks of the shots themselves. 

Bacterial meningitis is a condition that causes membranes in the brain and spinal cord to become inflamed. The disease can be deadly, or result in hearing loss, brain damage and learning disabilities. Pneumococcal meningitis is the most common and severe form of bacterial meningitis. It is estimated that about 25 to 30 percent of people die from the disease.

I am not comfortable risking my baby's life on the off chance he'll be one who has an allergic reaction or any sort of complication from a vaccine. My family has no history of vaccine reactions, nor is his immune system compromised. He's a strong, healthy little boy who has so far had all his shots without a single reaction, other than being tired from crying.

The myth of vaccines causing Autism has been debunked time and time again, and the man responsible for the false study was thoroughly discredited

I'm sure there are kids out there for who having a vaccine shot is more dangerous, and in those rare cases I can understand parents leaning towards not vaccinating. But for those of us who have children with healthy dispositions, getting vaccinated is simply logical. 

However, I don't think they should be mandatory. I still believe in individual rights and that includes the right of parents to make decisions I disagree with, or decisions that could possibly harm my family. That's just the way this country is built. The moment the government mandates a vaccine I'll be saying No Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment