Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ruining It for Everyone Else

I love to coupon. It's not that we HAVE to coupon, although lately it's become more and more important to enjoy the nicer things we like, but I enjoy couponing. And yes, couponing has become a verb.

It's fun to put together the puzzle of what is on sale with what coupons I have to see what I can get for free or super cheap.

Today I wanted to get a couple free shampoos (I haven't paid for shampoo in over two years since I started couponing), some free nail polish to give as a gift, and a set of dry erase pens for free or "money maker" (the term used when your coupon value is higher than the actual price of the item).

Not a single item was on the shelves at this particular store. The cashier said that "professional shoppers" had been in when the store opened and wiped them out.

*sigh*

Really? REALLY??? Is that really necessary? Do you have to be so greedy? I'd have been very pleased to get one or two bottles of shampoo for free. And thrilled to get free dry erase markers for work. But no...someone had to spoil it for the rest of us.

I'm sure the folks who cleaned the shelves will be reselling the items at a garage sale. I've sold excess stuff at garage sales before. It's great selling something you got for free for lower than retail to someone who needs it. but I didn't clear shelves to do it.

It's just frustrating. I don't put a TON of work into my coupon ventures, but it does take a little time and effort to get things organized.

The good news is that I saved at ~least~ $50 at Walmart. I price matched from Safeway's add to get four 12 packs of soda for $7.96 (saving $7.96) and Horizon Organic milk for $2.99 (saving $0.99). I used Albertson's ad to price match Kettle Chips (saved a whopping $0.26 but I also had a $1 off coupon) and V8 Juice for hubby which I saved $.78 from the price match and another $1 off with coupons...so I got four V8s for $1 a piece.

I got four Johnson & Johnson travel emergency kits for $0.88. Saved $3 on Fat Foam hair color (I haven't colored my hair for over ten years so we'll see how this works out). Paid $0.33 for Welch's squeezable grape jelly. YUM!

Huggies Little Swimmers were somehow on sale for $5 (unmarked) which I LOVED because I used $1.50 off coupon AND then got free Juicy Juice for Marshal...saving me over $9! I Used coupons on bread, dental floss, wipes, soup, and some other things I can't recall off the top of my head.

Not too bad. The folks behind me were highly annoyed until they saw how much I saved and then they were impressed.

It's a great feeling...saving more than $50 on items that my family needs and will use. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment