Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Ditching Cable

There was a point in my life where my TV was on almost 24 hours a day. Especially when I lived by myself...if I was home, the TV was on. Even at night...I'd leave it on all night.

After Marshal was born, I really wanted to cut back but it seemed impossible. Lately though I've noticed him becoming a little too interested in television shows. One, called Gravity Falls, came on immediately after our favorite Phineas and Ferb so I let him watch it...after all it was on Disney.

Since when do shows on Disney use words like "shut up" and "butthead"???

What the?!?

If someone had suggested to me five years ago that I'd be considering canceling our cable I'd have said they were nuts. To me it was as essential as food expenses.

Lately though I've stopped turning it on first thing when I walk in the door. I haven't even watched my DVR shows in two weeks. I'm not sure what changed but it's been really nice. I've gotten more done, including couponing and learning new recipes.

If we cut our cable entirely, I think we'd save over $75. Our bill right now is $185 but it includes our cable, internet, and phone. I really don't want to cancel our mainline phone. I don't know why but I'm not ready to take that step. We do need internet service as well but I think (haven't actually priced it yet) we can get both of those for less than $100 a month. I need to price it out to see if it makes sense to cancel cable and add something like Netflix.

It shocks me that I'm even thinking about canceling our cable...but I am not alone. For us, economics definitely play a part, but also the idea of my son becoming as addicted to TV as I am makes me sad. I want him to go play outside (when it isn't raining) or play with his Duplo. TV is not a necessity. It doesn't expand our minds and it sucks our time. It makes us think we need "things" from all the commercials blasting us with exciting products.

Essentially, TV makes us feel unhappy with the life we have...longing for things instead of appreciating what we have in front of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment