Saturday, September 10, 2011

Elementary School Graduations are Stupid

And when Marshal is in Elementary school I will tell him so and might even refuse to attend if they make a big deal out of it.

Since when is graduating from Kindergarten a big deal? I don't recall ever having a party for moving up a grade. We had a kind of 6th grade graduation, but it wasn't super fancy. I remember riding away from the Elementary school on my last day feeling a little sad...but at the same time excited because I was moving on to Middle School.

In middle school we got to go to Wild Waves Theme Park for our 8th grade "graduation"...but there was no ceremony, caps, or weird ceremonies.

And now schools are throwing celebrations for the start of school.

I'm sorry (not really) but that is just stupid. What a waste of time and money. School is about learning. If my property taxes are paying for this kind of useless crap no wonder our schools are turning out sub par citizens who think they deserve everything handed to them on a platter.

Students are treated as if they are kings and queens who deserve the world. Reality could not be further from their school experiences.

I'm not saying to beat kids down and drum misery into them...but reality is not all lollipops and roses. Life is difficult and only those with a HEALTHY self esteem, not over inflated and self aggrandizing, will be successful.

On my way to work every day I see an elementary school electronic sign that says "Every child is capable of Success" or something of the sort. I disagree. Not every human is going to be "successful" (and who's definition of success are they using?). It's just part of the human experience. People fail. Failure is not a bad thing. It teaches us.

Didn't Thomas Edison "Fail" 9,999 times before succeeding in making the lightbulb? Why should we be taking those failures away from our kids?

I hope I can be strong enough for my little man to allow him to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment