Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I Thought Everyone Used Cold Water

Apparently I'm in the minority...but I wash our clothes with cold water 90% of the time. The only time I use hot water is if something got particularly dirty (Marshal's clothes after a blow out) or our towels and bedding. Everything else gets cold water.

But apparently this isn't normal. I have always felt that there was no point in wasting hot water. Cold water works just fine and isn't as hard on the clothes. Plus the shrinkage factor is much lower.

"...customers cling to mom’s age-old advice that hot water washes best — squandering energy and contributing to greenhouse gas emissions."

Seriously? I could care less what my hot water use contributes to greenhouse gas emissions. I just didn't want to waste the energy because it costs more.

And I don't remember my mom teaching me to wash in hot or cold water. Honestly I didn't learn how to do my own laundry until I was almost graduated from high school.

"...predicted that cold-water detergents would remain a niche, unless the government provided incentives to use them or the industry waged a major campaign."

While it wouldn't surprise me if the government tried to provide incentives for cold water detergents, it would be a huge waste of tax payer money and government overreach at its best. If I want to buy cold water detergent (and I often do) I will do so on my own without the government providing corporate welfare.

Do you wash in cold or hot water?

No comments:

Post a Comment