Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fossils are Fun!

Part of my "inheretance" from my grandfather (who hasn't passed yet, but is in a home) is his entire rock and lapidary collection...which includes a TON (literally) of fossils.

What are Fossils?

According to Wikipedia:

Ammonite Fossils
"Fossils (from Latin fossus, literally "having been dug up") are the preserved remains or traces of animals (also known as zoolites), plants, and other organisms from the remote past."
Well isn't that dry and boring?

To me, fossils aren't super exciting...in terms of rock excitement. I prefer pretty rocks like garnets, perodite, charoite, etc. But fossils are just kind of...dull. To me.

I can appreciate fossils for their historical value and in some cases their earthy beauty. I made a pendant out of a piece of fossilized tree. Which, I must admit, is pretty cool.


Apparently it's pretty hard to become a fossil...even though I feel like I have tons of the things from my grandpa's collection.
Fossilization is an exceptionally rare occurrence, because most components of formerly living things tend to decompose relatively quickly following death. In order for an organism to be fossilized, the remains normally need to be covered by sediment as soon as possible. However there are exceptions to this, such as if an organism becomes frozen, desiccated, or comes to rest in an anoxic (oxygen-free) environment. 

I had no idea. I've been around fossils a lot...mostly petrified wood which decorated my grandparent's home and gardens. I never really saw it as a big deal but when you read about how rare it is and what it takes to form...it's kind of a big deal. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment