Thursday, September 6, 2012

Book Review - Through the Door (The Thin Veil) by Jodi McIsaac

Having a Kindle has certainly helped me expand my reading list. Prior to the Kindle, the only books I would read were authors I "trusted" for their stories and writing. James Patterson. Vince Flynn (still a favorite). Patricia Cornwell (not as big a fan of her new stuff).

Kindle offers free books and I managed to snag Through the Door (The Thin Veil) by Jill McIsaac a few weeks ago. Sometimes free books are just okay and it's no big deal because it was free.  I must say though that this book exceeded all my expectations.



Cedar is a single mother, left by her lover unexpectedly and with no explanation. She didn't even get a chance to tell him she was pregnant. There's some obvious tension between Cedar and her own mother as Cedar juggles the obligations of raising her daughter, Eden, and working to support them.

One night...their whole world turned upside down. Eden has an unusual ability. And it's directly related to her  father's family...or is it?

This was such a great book and it totally sucked me in. I generally only read while I'm working out on the elliptical machine at the gym but this book had me reading other times too.

There was no inappropriate sexuality - though there was some hints to it but it was tasteful and not graphic. There is some violence but it is fantasy violence that doesn't bother me.

Most importantly I really loved the characters and the story line. This is Jill McIsaac's first book and I can't wait for her next one!


No comments:

Post a Comment