Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Budget Living

If you aren't friends with me on Facebook you probably don't know about our budget issues. We got a letter in the mail from the IRS saying we owed them over $38,000.

Yup.

We're pretty sure it's not the real amount but we do owe some, and we knew we would come 2012 (long story having to do with converting my retirement plan from my last job) and 2013.

Anyway, it was a real eye opener to say the least. Not to mention that we are trying to buy property...another challenge in itself.

Even though we thought we were doing a good job of budgeting, in reality we were out of control.

I signed up for Mint (which I don't recommend at this time) and figured out that we spent over $1,000 in February on food - groceries, eating out, and things like diapers. $1,000!

I was flabbergasted. There are two adults and one less than three year old living in our home. There are no excuses for spending that much money. It's more than 25% of our take home pay!

How in the heck the Lord has provided for us in the last few years is beyond me because we obviously have been spending more than we make for years. And yet, we're really not in a heap of debt compared to what it could be.

So we're buckling down. I think it would be therapeutic to share my experience here so hopefully I will be able to blog more often ... it's been a little quiet around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment