Tuesday, January 3, 2012

You Know It's Your Money - Not a Reward

Tax season drives me crazy...for a variety of reasons. Obviously I hate having to pay taxes. I have always structured our paychecks (when I got a paycheck) so that the government got as little of my money as possible. So many of my former co-workers had the government take out as much as possible so they got back big tax refunds in April.

Watching TV, as I always am, there was a commercial from H&R Block about their program to get people tax refunds. The people acted like they'd won the lottery - jumping up and down and screaming for getting money from "the government."

Oh Em Gee.

It isn't the government's money! It's YOUR freaking money. You didn't win it. The government is "giving" it to you out of the goodness of the system. The government took more than you owed. The government got to use your money interest free!

I would much rather owe the government than have the government owe me. I hate how high taxes are and I hate hearing about the insane ways our money is spent (Snow Cone machines for the TSA anyone?). But better that I have to send the government money than I let the government use my money interest free to fund such stupid projects and more.

My taxes this year will be more complicated than last year. Last year I hadn't made any jewelry sales so I didn't have to do any taxes at the State level. This year I do have jewelry sales, plus Aflac income, plus my husband's salary.

In 2012, Tax freedom day will not occur until April 12. This means you and I are working until that day JUST to pay the government to fund Snow Cone machines. It's insane.

Oh and that whole payroll tax cut that was supposedly extended...the IRS found a work around.

Welcome..."Recapture" tax.
Under the terms negotiated by Congress, the law also includes a new “recapture” provision, which applies only to those employees who receive more than $18,350 in wages during the two-month period (the Social Security wage base for 2012 is $110,100, and $18,350 represents two months of the full-year amount). This provision imposes an additional income tax on these higher-income employees in an amount equal to 2% of the amount of wages they receive during the two-month period in excess of $18,350 (and not greater than $110,100). 
Did I mention this system is insane? I say put out a flat tax based on consumption and be done with income taxes on the federal and state level. Let states have sales taxes. Get rid of property taxes (I bought my property...why do I have to pay additional rent to the government for my land?). Make everyone pay their fair share (rich AND poor). And cut spending to the bone...take care of the poor elderly and the infirm, military, and infrastructure. That's it.

Okay...I think I'm done now. :) Until I have to actually pay my taxes!

No comments:

Post a Comment